Monday, January 24, 2011

The Dreaded Overnight?

This past weekend was busy. Really really busy.

 We had a wedding to shoot, a babe to drop off to grandma and great-grandma's house, a wiener dog to auntie jb's, breakfast and shopping with two of my bests, a birthday party for my now three year old niece and a visit with my 2 nephews and in-laws.

It was so nice to see everyone and for the most part we were able to schedule around Monroe's nap schedule, which even if we're late just makes life all that much easier.

So this was Monroe's first dreaded overnight away from us, except that I really wasn't dreading it. I was excited to not be woken up multiple times during the night. I was really pumped about breakfast not being rushed (and we grabbed some shopping and cupcakes afterwards too). Not too excited about having to pump, but I was willing to deal with it. I was  a little worried about whether or not he'd have enough food, but we over-packed because of this, so he had a lot of food! He did pretty well and when I called to check -in my mom immediately told me how sweet he was being that night. So I figured he was doing okay.

When I asked Paul if he missed Monroe he said he really missed snuggling him (we'd been away about 24 hours from him). Then he asked me and I honestly didn't miss  Monroe, and I wasn't stressed out about not being in control of everything he did. I knew he was safe (my mom has 3 kids under her belt and  my nanny has 4 including twins) so I knew they'd be very capable of handling him and he would be fine.

Now some people may think that this means I am having some sort of issues with my emotions or more ppd and require help with these things. Truth is that for me I was just glad to have a break, but as soon as he woke up and he made eye contact with my and broke out in his near-toothless grin, my heart melted just a bit.

somebody is 6 months old now

After thinking this through I've decided not to feel bad about the fact that I only called my mom to let her know we'd be a bit late, not to double and triple check on Monroe. I feel this pressure from society that I should feel this pull and angst while I am away from my babe, the truth is as long as he is safe and loved and well taken care of I am not worried about it. What would worry do for me?

So it was a lovely visit with my bests and snuggling Monroe afterwards made me as content as ever and reinforced that it is indeed okay to not be petrified every moment I am away from him. He'll be okay. Now if someone else had been babysitting it could be a whole other story.

No comments:

Post a Comment